Saute slowly until lightly browned:
1/2 cup chopped salt pork
Add and saute until golden brown:
3 Tablespoons chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 Tablespoons chopped green pepper
Add and simmer:
1 cup diced pared raw potatoes
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 bay leaf
When the potatoes are tender, in about 45 minutes, combine until blended, bring to the boiling point, and add to the above:
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
Heat about 5 minutes and add:
1-1/2 cups hot milk
2 cups whole-kernel corn
Reheat but do not boil the soup. Serve it sprinkled with
* * *My changes:
- I like to use bacon in this recipe. I saute 4-6 pieces in the bottom of a large dutch oven. Then I add green pepper, onion and a garlic clove. I always add way more onion to this soup.
- I usually omit the celery (if I feel too guilty about that, I add celery seed sometimes).
- If I have lots of time, I add the raw potatoes as called for. If I don't, I partially cook them in the microwave and throw them in with bacon when it is browning.
- I enjoy adding grated cheese to the soup after it is done cooking.
- Canned corn works well in the recipe, but frozen or fresh is awesome!