Friday, May 23, 2008

Butterbur's Chicken Stock!

Today I pulled apart what was left of the roast chicken from the other night. Most of it I loaded up into packages for the freezer, and when I was finished I was left with bones and scraps. I decided to try making chicken stock in the crockpot. This idea gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, as I am getting lots of use from one chicken. This is what I added to my crockpot:
  • chicken bones, scraps etc. from the roasted chicken
  • broccoli stems (the really thick, heavy part of fresh broccoli- I always end up wasting this, so I hope that it will work)
  • carrots (hunks)
  • onion (hunks)
  • garlic cloves (chopped)
  • fresh chives
  • fresh oregano
  • salt and pepper
  • celery seed
  • bay leaf
I then put the crockpot on low and let the chicken stock simmer for a very long time. After it cooked into happy chicken goodness, I strained the liquid a couple of times and put it in the fridge. Once I skim the fat from the top tomorrow, I'm planning on freezing it into 1/2 cup increments for future use. Yay chicken stock! Yours humbly, Butterbur.

No comments: