Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie Post Number 7: Summer Fruit Galette

This weeks recipe was "Summer Fruit Galette" and was chosen by Michelle of Michelle in Colorado Springs. If you would like to see the full recipe, visit her site as it will be available there.

When I saw the recipe for this week, I though "what on earth is a galette"? So far with TWD I've made cobblers, pies and scones....all things familiar to me. Even the puff pastry (which I had never attempted) was something I had eaten before. But the word galette was mystifying. This week proved to be opportunity for personal culinary growth. You can't get much better then that.

Here is what Wikipedia had to say "Galette is a general term used in French to designate different types of round and flat crusty cakes."

After reading through the directions a few times and referring to another recipe in the book, I realized that essentially a galette is a pie with no pie plate, and the crust end folded up over the filling. Ah! It was equally exciting to realize that I got to use that fabulous pie crust recipe again!!!
One important lesson I learned through galette making is when using plums, spend a little more time selecting ripe participants to play in the pastry. Evidently some of the fruit was a little on the tart side....
As usual, I decided to make mini versions of the recipe. I cut the dough recipe in half, and rolled it out on my counter. Using a berry bowl, I made 4 circles in the dough and went from there. I was really worried because the dough looked a little thin (like perhaps I should have only made 3 mini-galettes), but when baked, everything held together really well! I didn't use very much of the custard filling at all...makes me wonder if next time I shouldn't cut the plums into small pieces...
These were delicious! I've never baked with plums before!

25 comments:

Nickki said...

Looks delicious! I can imagine it was so good with plums :)

ostwestwind said...

Your minis look so elegant with less custard than mine. Great work!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Pamela said...

I'm a big fan of the pie crust, too! The mini galettes look delicious. Great job.

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, I love your little mini galettes! Well done! They look delicious!

MacDuff said...

I really wanted to try it with plums, but I went with peaches and strawberries. But looking at yours, I'm determined to make this again soon!

Susie Homemaker said...

Minis? Oh yeah!! They look so good!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

I love the mini-galettes! Looks great!!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Sihan said...

mini galettes in a basket... how lovely!

Mary Ann said...

what cute minis! I thought about doing that but wasn't sure. Yours look great and I now wish I would've made one with plums!

Anonymous said...

Cute minis...must try those soon. I wanted to do plums, but Matt won out with peaches...now I am sure I want to do the plums...very soon!

Great job...thanks for sharing!

Engineer Baker said...

So cute, and plums sound delicious.

Anonymous said...

Your mini galettes are perfect! I am so jealous! Mine were a disaster!

Christine said...

Your minis look beautiful! Great choice using plums!

slush said...

They are freakin adorable! Job very well done.

Prudy said...

Those galettes are utterly adorable and plum sounds like the garden of eden!

Summertime said...

Your minis are awesome and plums sound wonderful! Someday when I grow up I am going to remember to try making minis. Good job!

hoagiefest 2020 said...

Plums are a highly underrated fruit. I always like your mini versions, too.

Jacque said...

Mmm, those plums look fantastic! so much color from one fruit.

It looks delish.

Beryl said...

Little plum filled beauties! Great job!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Plums -- that sounds interesting. And your galettes are certainly adorable little things.

Anonymous said...

I'm making it again this weekend, with plums, so I'm glad to hear that these were tasty. And your little galettes are so cute!

Shelby said...

The custard may have helped make it a little sweeter...I actually loved the custard part! Great job!

Bungalow Barbara said...

What darling mini-galettes!

Jaime said...

i love your mini galettes! great idea to make them mini