Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie Post Number 4: Double-Crusted Blueberry Pie

This week's recipe for "Double-Crusted Blueberry Pie" was chosen by Amy of South in Your Mouth. If you would like to see the full recipe, it will be posted on Amy's page. What a wonderful pick, because what would the 4th of July be without a blueberry pie?

Let me begin by saying that I am a one pie crust person. This will probably horrify some of you, but I have found success with the Crisco Pie Crust recipe, and after being traumatized by other pie doughs that did not cooperate....well....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, knowing that we have to use the recipe from the book, I was a little nervous. This pie dough recipe takes a staggering amount of butter, but it is absolutely wonderful to work with. I am in love with the flavor of the dough, and it rolled out nicely. Chilling it makes all the difference. I haven't made a full top crust in forever because I like the ease of making lattice tops....but the top crust for this came together really well.
Notice all the festive sprinkles :) Here is my pie pre-baking, when it was still pretty. I even tried to cut a star in the center.
This is what it looked like after it baked. My pie shield squished the outside crust a bit, and the blueberry happily bubbled up on the top of the crust. I was calling it "the ugliest blueberry pie ever" because of its lack luster appearance.
The pie tasted absolutely delicious! I will make this again!

28 comments:

Bungalow Barbara said...

Glad you liked it! Butter does give a wonderful flavor to pie crust. You can experiment with different ratios of butter to shortening and of flour to fat if you like, and come up with your very own recipe. (My "rule of thumb" is to use no less than 1/3 cup of fat to 1 cup of flour, and no more than about 1/2 cup of fat to 1 cup of flour.)

My grandma was a superb baker and she always used a classic Crisco pie crust for her pies.

Prudy said...

What a pretty pie for the fourth. I use Crisco and butter in mine. It does keep it flaky and buttery at the same time.

Engineer Baker said...

I'm a one pie crust person too - Crisco all the way! And you gotta love the festive sprinkles :)

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love the festive sprinkles! That looks delicious!

noskos said...

Nice looking pie! Very festive!

ostwestwind said...

Lovely sprinkles, the kid wish we had some too.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

kimberly salem said...

the sprinkles are very cute! it looks tasty!

Pamela said...

The sprinkles truly add a touch of the 4th of July! I put a star in the center of mine, too. Good job. I agree about the butter in the crust, it added so much flavor.

Susie Homemaker said...

sweeeeet sprinkles!! this looks great, and i am glad to know that you liked the crust too - not just your crisco crust!!

Anonymous said...

I love the sprinkles! That was a fabulous touch!

MacDuff said...

I LOVE the sprinkles! We are very pro-sprinkles around our house, so I plan on trying this application soon. I need to get your notes on pie crust...

Christine said...

Love the sprinkles, great job on the pie your crust looks perfect!

Amy said...

I think your pie looks beautiful! I love the rustic look of the filling oozing out!

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Cute idea with the sprinkles...never enough sprinkles in one's life! Looks really good. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Summertime said...

I love the sprinkles! So fun. Your pie looks incredible.

Mary Ann said...

Love the sprinkles on top! it looks good!

Steph said...

The sprinkles look so cute. I have to admit that there is a starling amount of butter. I end up cutting the tiniest sliver and savour each bite!

The Food Librarian said...

So cute! I love the sprinkles!

Shirlie said...

Great looking pie! The sprinkles are a festive touch.

PheMom said...

I'll bet my son would have been more willing to try the pie if I had put sprinkles on mine! Very pretty touch!

Mari said...

Love the sprinkles! I agree with you, the flavor of the crust is fabulous!

Susan @ SGCC said...

That's a great looking pie! Love the sprinkles!

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

I love the sprinkles! I'm glad you liked it.

Jaime said...

perfect for the 4th of july! your crust looks so perfect, good job w/the fluting -- too bad it didn't hold its shape well after baking.

marae said...

your pie is so cute..!! Much better than mine..! Looks fab!

Jacque said...

But hey, taste is the most important part anyway. I think it looks great!

Jules Someone said...

It may not be gorgeous, but I'm sure it tasted delicious! I use a pie shield as well. My trick is to let it bake a bit and set up before I plop it on.

Unknown said...

How festive and delicious! I'm sprinkling my next pie.