Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie Post Number 9: Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream

Well, the Tuesdays with Dorie recipe for this week was true summertime bliss: Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream. Dolores of Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity chose this week's recipe, and if you would like to try making this fab ice cream, the recipe will be posted on her blog.
I used frozen blueberries for this recipe, trying to make sure that I drained the excess liquid from the bag. The recipe also called for lemon juice and lemon zest, which added a delicious flavor to the finished ice cream.
I doubled the recipe, so when I put it in the blender, I had this lovely moment where I thought "I wonder if the lid will stay on?" It did, but I was glad that I held the lid in place... The custard was rich and creamy, and I let it chill in the fridge over night. It set up nicely into a thick custard.
The ice cream was put in an ice cream freezer the next day, and turned out a delicious batch of blueberry happiness. I have never made ice cream from a recipe before, and if not for Tuesdays with Dorie, this probably would have been another one of those recipes that I looked at longingly, but never made. Hurray for blueberries!

Be sure to check out all the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll for lots more blueberry madness!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it! It looks gorgeous!

Christine said...

Love the color of this ice cream, great job!

CB said...

Glad you enjoyed your first ice cream making experience. I did too! I have a feeling it won't be my last either :)
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Tara said...

Yours looks great and creamy. I'm the same way. I never would have attempted homemade icecream if not for this group!

Anonymous said...

Very nice looking...and I was wondering if one could make a double batch and have it all work. Thanks for the info.

I, like you, am thinking that TWD is really great for getting me motivated and making things I would normally not bake, make, etc. It has been a big hit around here.

Anonymous said...

OH MY. That bottom photo made my mouth water so hard it hurt!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Umm. Looks great!

Susie Homemaker said...

GAD YOU LIKED IT!! Looks great!

Engineer Baker said...

"Batch of blueberry happiness" is the perfect way to describe this. Awesome.

Prudy said...

Oh, pretty ice cream. So glad you're first time was a charm!

Pamela said...

It was delicious. Yours looks so creamy and inviting. Nice job.

marae said...

it looks so nice and creamy! lovely.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

This looks scrumptious. By the way, is Butterbur the cute kitty in the frame?

Sihan said...

i'm glad you had fun with yours! even doubling the recipe! thats a big leap of faith! hope it paid off for you. It looks gorgeous anyway!

Summertime said...

Looks wonderful! Great job!

MacDuff said...

Your pictures are great...and the descriptions were enough to make me want to eat a ton of this!

Anonymous said...

I doubled it too -- I'm used to recipes that make a quart, so it's just luck that I noticed that this one only made a pint. It was good, wasn't it?

hoagiefest 2020 said...

Here here to trying new things! I would have never even considered making my own ice cream if not for TWD, but then again before TWD I didn't even know that baked goods came without plastic cellophane wrappers.

Jacque said...

Mmmm, yours looks like it has a really nice texture.

Great job, it looks fantastic!

Jules Someone said...

Glad you enjoyed it! Ice cream is fun!