Sunday, August 17, 2008

Oreo Inspired Cupcakes

Butterbur's Bistro is going retro today! I have had "The Family Circle Cake and Cooky Cookbook" on my shelf for a few months now, and haven't gotten around to trying anything from it. The book was published in 1953, and is chock full of recipes, ideas and nifty retro photos.
I made the Family Circle Cupcakes, however, I have been wanting to make cupcakes that were "Oreo inspired". I used the base recipe, but added melted chocolate to part of the batter and layered the cupcakes. If I try this again, I will be more careful with the proportions...I didn't quite have as much vanilla batter as I would have liked.
I also used a butter icing recipe from this cookbook. The recipe called for heavy cream, and I think it may be my new "go to" recipe for butter cream. It was so good!
I topped the cupcakes with crushed Oreos. The picture shows Oreos on top of the cupcakes, but that didn't work as well as I had hoped.
Here are the recipes:

Family Circle Cupcakes

1 cup sifted cake flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk

1. Grease 12 medium-size muffin-pan cups (or use fluted-paper baking cups placed in muffin pan).
2. Measure cake flour, baking powder and salt into sifter.
3. Cream shortening until soft in medium-size bowl; add sugar gradually, creaming after each addition until mixture is well blended.
4. Stir in egg and vanilla.
5. Sift and add dry ingredients, alternating with milk; blend until smooth after each addition.
6. Pour batter into prepared baking cups, filling half full.
7. Bake in in moderate oven (350 degrees) about 20 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
8. Cool cupcakes completely in pan on wire cake rack; loosen around edges with knife, remove from pan.

**I found 20 minutes to be a little too much time in the oven.
**I melted 2 0z of bittersweet baking chocolate, and added it to about 2/3 of the batter.

Butter Frosting:
1/3 cup butter or margarine
4 cups (1 pound) sifted confectioners' (powdered) sugar
5 Tablespoons cream or undiluted evaporated milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Cream butter or margarine until soft in medium size bowl with spoon or with electric mixer set at "cream".
2. Add sugar gradually, alternating with cream or evaporated milk, creaming well after each addition.
3. Stir in salt and vanilla; beat frosting until light and fluffy.

No comments: